Operational Research and Analysis to Inform Policy Making Processes
The LMRC, as a regional Think Tank and technical organ of the ICGLR, undertakes and promotes multi-disciplinary and operational research and analysis on governance processes, peace and state building, conflict prevention and resolution at the Local, National and Regional levels with the purpose of contributing to evidence based policy making processes. Research findings focus generally on best practices, analysis of challenges and policy options to address them. They are published and disseminated among key stakeholders and decision makers in the ICGLR organs, Member States and the Region as a whole.
Since 2012, the Research Programme covers key four areas:
- The situation of Youth Unemployment in the 12 ICGLR Member States;
- Conflicts Management and Challenges of Peace Building in the Great Lakes Region;
- The Regional Initiative on Natural Resources: situation analysis on the EITI in the 12 ICGLR Member States;
- Setting up an Eastern Africa Resilience Hub for Research and Innovation.
Capacity Building and Training for Strengthening Governance Processes
The purpose of the Capacity Building and Training Programme is to strengthen Public Institutions as well as Civil Society and Private Sector Organizations and promote accountable leadership for an active and effective national and regional engagement in the promotion of peace, security, democratic governance and human rights.
Strengthening ICGLR Regional Fora
ICGLR has the following Regional Fora:
- Regional Multi-functional Youth Forum;
- Regional Women Forum;
- Regional Civil Society Forum;
- Regional Forum of Parliaments.
ICGLR Regional Fora have a mandate to contribute to the implementation of the Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region and the Centre is mandated to facilitate and support their operations. The Programme is currently focusing on support towards the setting up of the ICGLR Regional Multi-functional Youth Forum (RMYF) Secretariat and two key activities have since been conducted towards that goal.
- The establishment of the Regional Multi-functional Youth Forum Headquarters organised by the RMYF, and the Government of Kenya at the Great Rift Valley Lodge in Naivasha, Kenya from 23rd to 26th March, 2015.
- The Executive Director and a the Programme Assistant for Training and Capacity Building attended and contributed actively to the meeting of ICGLR Youth Forum Executive Committee at Sagana Getaway Resort, in Nairobi, Kenya from 12th to 16th April 2015. The workshop aimed at adopting and endorsing the concept note, strategic plan, budget, action and work plan of the establishment of the RYF Secretariat. This marked an important milestone into the establishment and operationalisation of the Youth Forum Secretariat. The Regional Centre is currently playing a technical role in the establishment of the ICGLR Youth Forum Secretariat as per its mandate.
Supporting Implementation of ICGLR Pact
and Protocols through Monitoring and Evaluation
The purpose of this 3rd Programme area is to create a database on the status of ratification, domestication and implementation of the ICGLR Pact, Protocols and other relevant legal Instruments through monitoring and evaluation of policies and practices and make appropriate proposals for their ratification, domestication and implementation.
ICGLR Protocols are:
- Protocol on Non-aggression and Mutual Defence in the Great Lakes Region;
- Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance;
- Protocol on Judicial Cooperation;
- Protocol for the Prevention and the Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity and all forms of Discrimination;
- Protocol Against the Illegal Exploitation of Natural Resources;
- Protocol on the Specific Reconstruction and Development Zone
- Protocol on the Prevention and Suppression of Sexual Violence Against Women and Children;
- Protocol on the Protection and Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs);
- Protocol on Property Rights of Returning Persons;
- Protocol on the Management of Information and Communication.
The activities under this area of intervention are implemented through two Observatories: one covering Human Rights and Gender and the one on Democracy and Good Governance.
Facilitating Multi-Actor Dialogue on Governance
Agenda and Building Consensus on Key Policy Issues
The LMRC through this Programme area facilitates and promotes multi-actor dialogue among key stakeholders on Governance Reform Agenda at the National and Regional levels with the purpose of creating spaces where various stakeholders can discuss public policies and build consensus on important issues.
Recent activities implemented under this cross-cutting Programme
Establishing an Information Hub on
Democracy, Good Governance and Human Rights
As information is cardinal to development, the Regional Centre through this Programme provides an all-inclusive information hub on Democracy, Good Governance, Human Rights and Civic Education accessible to the public. Its purpose is to make the Centre, a Regional Data Hub as well as a Reference for the Region.The LMRC mobilises different tools to implement activities of this component of our Programme including
– Five Series of Publications:
- Research Report Series;
- Working Paper Series;
- Policy Document Series;
- Capacity Building Bulletin Series;
- Electoral Process Report Series.
– An informative and interactive Website
– Library: Catalogue of available documents
– E-Library (under development)